Shifting Tides: Convergence in Cloth
7 Region Studio Art Quilts exhibition, Ann Johnston, Juror.
The focus of the exhibit was the current state of the Pacific ecosystem and its influences.
Ann's comments as juror can be seen in the catalogue for the exhibit.
She was invited to give a video presentation for the Visions Art Museum while the exhibit was there. It has been divided into 2 parts:
Shifting Tides Juror Talk, Part 1, Wave Quilts in a Series
Ann discusses the theme of the exhibit that she juried for SAQQA in 2019. She talks about her relationship to the ocean and shows a series of quilts all on the theme of waves. She describes her dyeing and construction techniques and the impetus behind the compositions.
Shifting Tides Juror Talk, Part 2, You be the Juror
Ann's presentation describes in detail her approach to choosing the quilts for the SAQA exhibition at Visions Art Museum. She illustrates how some ideas appear to be objective, but really are not. then she asks the members of the audience to each be a juror and select which of the quilts she ofers them to be in a fictional exhibit themed Sunsets. Try it!
Venues and dates as of July 2020.
- Works: San José, San Jose, California, April 19 - May 5, 2019
- Pacific NW Quilt and Fiber Arts Museum, La Conner, Washington, June 26 - Sept. 30, 2019
- Chehalem Cultural Center, Newberg, Oregon, March 3 - April 26, 2020
- City Scape Community Art Space, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 15 - June 13, 2020 CANCELLED
- Wailoa Center, State Parks, DLNR, Hilo, Hawai'i, July 10 - July 30, 2020 CANCELLED
- International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, Alaska, Aug. 26 - Sept. 30, 2020
- Pratt Museum, Homer, Alaska, October 9 - Nov. 30, 2020
- Visions Art Museum, San Diego, California, January 1 - April 4, 2021
- Olive Hyde Art Gallery, Fremont, CA : May 14 - June 26, 2021
- Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History, Pacific Grove, California, July 16 - Sept. 12, 2021